Legislator Rob Calarco; Patchogue Village Mayor Paul Pontieri; County Executive Steve Bellone; Rob Loscalzo, COO of TRITEC Real Estate Co.; Wolfe House & Building Movers.
Wolfe House & Building Movers will be moving the historic Carnegie Library building located on Lake Street in downtown Patchogue to its new location, the Sixth District Court property located on West Avenue. TRITEC will supervise the move being executed by Wolfe Movers, a prominent structural moving company from Bernville, PA. The day move will constitute the first leg of the relocation from the library’s original site to a recently cleared lot across Havens Ave. The second and final leg of the move will begin at midnight and take the building through the parking lot at the rear of the Caroll and Henrietta Swezy Medical Pavilion and down West Avenue to the southeast corner of the Sixth District Court Property.
WHEN: Wednesday, August 8, 4 pm.
WHERE: Corner of Havens Avenue and Lake Street, Patchogue
Leg. Rob Calarco’s bill (a DPW feasibility study) to help move the historic Carnegie Library to a new county-owned location was passed unanimously at the March 14 General Meeting of the Suffolk County Legislature. Leg. Calarco’s second bill (allowing the County to enter into an agreement with the Village for relocation to the district court property) will go before the Legislature at its Aug. 7 General Meeting.
The Carnegie Library is being moved to accommodate New Village, a revitalization mixed use development project designed to bring new housing, office and retail space to downtown Patchogue. While a new tenant of the historic building has yet to be determined, the goal is to attract a tenant who will use the building as a cultural and educational resource.
The Carnegie Library, a Patchogue Village landmark, opened its doors in 1908 and was in use as the Patchogue Library until 1981. It was built with funds donated by steel magnate Andrew Carnegie and was designed by John Vrendenburgh Van Pelt in the neoclassical style.