Over the past year I have heard from hundreds of residents about the proposed Video Lottery Terminal in Medford. Many of you are concerned about the potential for increased crime and traffic, impacts upon our groundwater and loss of revenue to local businesses.
Even more upsetting is that the project has completely lacked local review, which would give you the ability to have a voice in this process.
I share those concerns, and for the past year I have been fighting against this casino on your behalf. My record is clear. Click on the links below to see how I'm working with the Medford community to keep gambling out of our neighborhood.
- February 3 - Suffolk County Legislators opposition to casino
- March 23 - Groundwater concerns
- March 24 - Request for documents from OTB
- April 9 - Request to Town of Brookhaven to enforce local zoning
- April 30 - Legislator Calarco letter to residents stating opposition
- August 11 - Opposition to Gaming Commission declaring Lead Agency status
- September 11 - Advocating on behalf of Medford residents to United States Bankruptcy Court
- October 12 - Letter from Brett Houdek to the Medford Community
Read the following Newsday articles:
- Six Suffolk Legislators Oppose Medford Casino - http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-county-legislators-rob-calarco-and-four-other-li-pols-oppose-medford-casino-1.9900515
- Suffolk Bill Would Mandate Consideration of Community Views in VLT Siting - http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-bill-would-mandate-consideration-of-community-views-in-casino-siting-1.9973409
- Suffolk OTB Seeks to Force Approval of Permits for Medford Casino - http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/suffolk-otb-seeks-to-force-approval-of-permits-for-medford-casino-1.10820979